Monday, May 25, 2015

Exploring the City Pt.1

      I arrived in Madrid this morning around 8 AM local time. My whole sense of time was completely off since in Iowa the time would have been 1 AM. It felt like it was time to go to bed, but all the Spaniards were just getting up and out for the day, so I decided that I wouldn't go straight to bed. After getting to my cool little apartment at the Plaza de Puerta Cerrada, I unpacked my bags, set up my WIFI (the Spaniards pronounce it WeeFee, and I almost instinctively laugh every time), and headed out for the local skate shop.
      The shop was located a number of kilometers away according to Google Maps, and of course I got lost a few times on the way out there. However, getting lost ended up being a good thing, because I ended up in one of Madrid's most famous and historic plazas, El Plaza Mayor.
      Within the plaza, there was a tourist information stand and I grabbed a city map so I could find my way around a little better. I got back on the route to the skate shop and ran into another famous Madrid attraction; Puerta Del Sol.
      The area was filled with intricate fountains and statues. I am sure I will be returning to both of these locations within my course that I am taking. 

      Welcome Skateboard Shop in Madrid is awesome. The people that work there are super helpful and friendly. The art on the side of the building is super cool as well.
        I purchased a new board at the shop, talked with the shop owner, and got some insight into spots, skate parks, and how la policia feel about skateboarding.
      The owner was super cool. He hooked me up with a free Spanish skateboarding magazine so that I can practice my reading skills, some free stickers, and even marked up my map with skate spots and skate parks. One of which I decided I'd check out during the trek back to the apartment. 
      The skate spot was a small little plaza that was filled with perfect ledges. I showed up and saw the policia posted up with ARs and figured there was no way they wouldn't kick me out, but to my surprise, I skated the spot for over an hour and they watched as if it was their entertainment. I also made my first friend, Matteo, who is a local skateboarder. We played a game of skate in the plaza and added each other on Facebook. It sounds like we are going to be skating together over the next month.
      I explored the city, bought a new skateboard, and made a new friend; so I'd say today has been a successful first day here in Madrid. 

Thanks for reading,
      RCE 

      

No comments:

Post a Comment