Sunday, May 24, 2015

Assuming a Foreign Perspective

     Currently, I'm sitting at a Goose Island brewery in the Chicago airport drinking an 8$ Bud Light with a group of South Korean business men. The brewery was full and they offered me a seat at their table, so we became friends. "Sour Korea.... No North Korea. Hahaha" the man across the table from me clarified in a joking manner. Apparently, they are returning home from Portland, Oregon. They asked if I had ever been, but sadly I have not, so our conversation has dwindled significantly since I originally joined them.
      I sipped my overpriced beer as they sampled foods like a Club Sandwich with homemade potato chips and fried fish fillets with French fries. It seems as if they weren't too fond of the club sandwich but that the fried fish was a big hit. I know very little about South Korea, but I assume these foods aren't particularly common over there.
      This meal may seem like an insignificant part of my trip to Spain, but really it has given me a little insight into how a foreigner should approach a meal in a foreign country. That insight being that you should share with friends, make a new friend if possible, and enjoy the moment even if it is just an average meal at a overpriced airport bar.

Thanks for reading,
      RCE

No comments:

Post a Comment