Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Desayuno With My Roommate

      My roommate and I woke up rather early after passing out around 8 PM last night. We decided to walk around and look for a good place to grab some breakfast or what the Spaniards call desayuno. I hadn't eaten since lunch the day before, so I was more than ready to get something to eat. We passed a couple of small restaurants that I suggested we stop at, but my roommate insisted that we keep searching. At the time my mind and my stomach were frustrated with him, but I am glad he made us keep searching. We finally came across a restaurant named Bar El Tres and we both agreed this was the place for us.
       We looked over the menu, which was in Spanish on one side and English on the other, until we both had made our decisions. My roommate, Ryan, approached the counter and ordered his meal using some impressive Spanish. I ordered mine after and definitely sounded like Spanish was my second language; this hasn't been the first instance of this during the trip either. It is definitely an embarrassing moment when the language you try to speak doesn't make sense to someone that speaks that language fluently. But nonetheless, the order was made and we sat back down to wait for our meals. The orange juice was honestly the most fresh and delicious orange juice I have ever had. They freshly pressed the oranges in the restaurant right after I ordered it. The salchicha, a Spanish breakfast sausage, was just as incredible as the bacon. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the restaurant had purchased the meats at one of Madrid's many different local mercados or markets. My stomach was empty and after taking this picture, the plate wasn't full for much longer. 
       When the time came to pay for our meals, we payed la cuenta (the bill) and headed out. I was going to tip the worker for serving us such delicious food, but my roommate reminded me that in Spain, tipping is uncommon and sometimes even considered demeaning to the worker. I like this idea as the person paying the bill, but since most of my income back home comes from tips, I'm not so sure I would like the idea if the U.S. adopted such a custom. 
       I'm still trying to learn how to use this new camera of mine and this photo didn't come out so clear. The napkin reads gracias por su visito. This means thanks for your visit. 

Gracias por su visito a mi blog,
       RCE

No comments:

Post a Comment