Monday, June 22, 2015

12 Phrases To Use to Improve Your Fake British Accent

      During my time here in London, I have encountered a number of comical phrases or words that the locals have used that made me laugh. While everyone knows the typical phrases like "Bloody Hell", "Mum", and "Cheers", you might find some of these lesser known phrases to be quite comical.

British phrase/ word - American translation (No specific order)
Try reading the examples in a British Accent.
Rubbish - Garbage
"Those pennies are mere rubbish."

Litter Bin - Trash Can
"Oh, just go toss it in the litter bin."

I reckon - I guess
"I reckon so, mate."

Beer Mat - Coaster
"Would you mind placing your beer on the beer mat?"

To sit in or to take away - For here or to go
"Would you like that for sit in or to take away?"

The tube - the metro
"You just gotta take the tube down to Liverpool Street Station."

Mate/ Fellow - Friend
"Good day, mate."
"Oh, well would you look at this fellow over here."

Fag - Cigarette
"Do you have a fag to spare?"

Pub - Bar
"Oh, let's grab a beer at the pub."

Chips - French Fries
"Would you like chips with that?"

The way - The street
"After you take a right, it will be just down the way."

I'm sure there are many other phrases I just haven't heard yet, but many of these made me laugh and felt they were worth sharing. If you ever find yourself using a fake British accent, use some of these to make yourself sound just a little bit more authentic.

Thanks for reading,
      RCE

No comments:

Post a Comment