Sunday, June 21, 2015

London Day 3

      The neighborhood that my hostel is located in has lots of Turkish and Indian foods and I am loving it. I had this chicken kebab meal before heading out for the day.
       Today is Go Skateboarding Day, a worldwide holiday for skateboarders. I looked up some skate parks and decided I would check one of them out. On my way there, I spotted this guy who had a makeshift bubble maker and there were lots of kids that were playing in the bubbles.
       It reminded me of my younger days in the backyard when we would blow bubbles for hours. I don't know what it is about bubbles, but they are so fascinating to children.
       This skate park is called South Bank Plaza. It had a fence on the outside where people would stop and watch as they shopped in the district around it.
       Everything was covered in graffiti and it made for a pretty cool looking park.
   
     
       The locals were pretty good. This kid did a 360 boneless down this set of 7 stairs and all of the spectators were cheering and clapping. It was kind of like a competition atmosphere.
       Afterwords, I walked over to the London Eye, this Ferris wheel looking thing, and had someone take a photo for me. If you look closely you can see Big Ben off in the background.
       I wandered around downtown and did a little bit of shopping. Eventually, I ran into the London Tower.
      This place is huge as well as historic and I took a little rest on a bench before I continued with my unplanned adventure.
      I walked across the London Bridge, but it isn't so impressive in comparison with this bridge, The Tower Bridge. I decided I would find a spot to take a good photo of it and eventually ended up on this little walkway. I began to get tired because I stayed out rather late last night, and decided I would head back to the hostel to rest and get ready for the night ahead of me. The problem was that I couldn't navigate the tube at all. I ended up going in circles for about 45 minutes, until I finally got onto the right line headed toward my hostel. 
      When I finally got back, my hostel roommate, Michael, had made some pasta and offered me a plate. I gladly accepted it and we talked as we ate. He is from Italy but is living here in London and working at a sushi restaurant. I really like staying in a hostel because of experiences like this where I get to interact with people from different countries. After we ate, he asked me to show him pictures of where I live in America. He was fascinated with the skyline of Des Moines, but when I showed him Iowa City, he wasn't so impressed. Now, I am going to take a nap before I go out and grab some beer at a pub. I want to say Happy Fathers Day to my dad, because I have no real way of contacting him from London at the moment. Thanks for allowing me to go on this trip Dad! I hope your day is fantastic. 

Thanks for reading,
      RCE

No comments:

Post a Comment