Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Chipotle of Spain

     During class this morning, my stomach was growling for a taste of home, but McDonalds just wasn't going to cut it. I remembered reading about a burrito place that was supposedly similar to Chipotle on my study abroad program's blog (Accent International), and decided that I would check it out after class. I told my classmates my plans once we were allowed to leave and a few of them decided to follow me on my journey for a burrito. Spanish cuisine is very different in comparison to Central American cuisine and I didn't really know this before getting here. I guess I just assumed because they spoke the same language that they ate the same foods.
      The walk from the study center to the restaurant was rather long and took about 25 minutes, but it was more than worth every step. Some of the people in our group were a little frustrated with me during the walk, but once we walked in all that disappeared. There was a tantalizing aroma that immediately confirmed the legitimacy of the restaurant. As I waited in line, I prepared my order in my head trying to include as much Spanish as I could. I decided I was just going to get everything in my burrito bowl, because I hadn't eaten all day and everything looked so good.
       Basically, I got a chicken burrito bowl with all the extras and salsa caliente. The man that made my meal warned me of the spiciness of the salsa, but I went with it anyway. I have been a little stuffed up during my time here in Madrid, and as I write this blog more than 2 hours after eating, I am still breathing super easy. Needless to say, it was super spicy, but so delicious. I was also excited that the restaurant had 7UP, because all the lemon-lime sodas here are very different than what I am accustomed to back in the states.
      We were lucky, because right after we arrived and got our food, the line shot out past the door a little bit. This place seems to be pretty popular with the local Madrilenos and I can see why that is. It cost about the same as Chipotle does in America, but their servings are bigger and the quality of food is arguably better (No way, right? I love Chipotle as much as the next guy, but I'd rather come back to Tierra than Chipotle anyday).
       I liked this sign they had hanging outside. It seems like almost every restaurant in Madrid sells alcohol, even Burger King and McDonalds. The Spanish know what's up.
     During our meal, our group shared stories from back home as well as our time here in Madrid. It was definitely one of the best meals I have had here in Spain, even up there in comparison with the authentic Spanish lunch that our class had in Pedraza that I wrote about in an earlier post. I think our group has become really close and I really enjoy spending time and learning about each and every one of them. Studying abroad is a great chance to make lasting relationships with people that you might not have talked to if they were in a class that you had at your home university. 
     After the meal, we headed out to the closest Metro station and I took notes on how I would go about returning to this wonderful burrito bar. I am convinced that I will be coming back here many times before my time is up here in Madrid. 

Thanks for reading,
      RCE

No comments:

Post a Comment